further thoughts on vttc tuning...

Original poster: Brett Miller <brmtesla2@xxxxxxxxx>

Dan,

One thing you might be forgetting when tuning your
coil, is that when you think you have some of the
parameters optimized, changing something else (like
grid leak resistance/capacitance) can require all the
other parameters to be tweaked again.  I found that in
my system, one set of adjustments caused the plate to
run hot, but longer sparks.  But if I tweaked for a
cool plate, the sparks were shorter.  Often a
compromise must be found.  Another perhaps much more
important factor, is wallplug power (wattage).  If you
can't accurately measure rms input current, you really
can't properly tune your coil.  You need to procure a
way to do this.  For me it (tuning) came down to 3
main optimization  parameters:  Plate heating, input
current, spark length.  I use these three to gauge
success or failure of my tuning efforts.

There is certainly a level of complexity in vttc
tuning that is not present in the tuning process of a
disruptive coil.  It is one that often defies
predictability and requires a good amount of patience
and tinkering.  I think it adds to the fun, and is one
of the things that makes tube coiling a challenge
worth taking on.

-Brett

Get your own web address.