Re: modern flybacks with diodes --- is there a simple diode removal procedure?

Original poster: "Jonathan Peakall" <jpeakall@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Al,

I have removed or bypassed the diodes on many different flybacks, and it is
usually not that hard. I work in an after school electronics program at my
local high school, and kids often want to play with flybacks. I use a
variety of methods, but my first choice is a dremel tool with a cutting
wheel. Often all we do is make a series of slits, making sure to start where
we will land on the diode. Then move back towards the windings. Once you get
to the base of the diode, you can just stuff a wire into the slit, then ape
or glue it in place. Not as good as a soldered connection, but we have done
that many time with good results.

Also, there are still many older flybacks out there to be scrounged without
the diodes. Dr. R used to sell a monster one without diodes, but I don't
know if he still does. I find the newer ones to be kinda wimpy anyway, which
is perfect for high school students, but not so much for more advanced
experimenters.

Jonathan
www.madlabs.info

Some people are like a Slinky .. not really good for anything,
but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs.