Re: non sync rotary.....

Hi David, all,

I have experienced this situation with an async RSG, where
the output would get erratic to the point that the "kickbacks"
would damage and/or destroy nearby electrical equipment.
Let me explain. In the async RSGs that I have built, if I tried
to run it with 4 stationary electrodes (2 pair of 2 w/ each pair
set 180 degrees apart from the other), it would run extrem-
ly erratically, to the point that the output was not at all "useful".
It would also damage or destroy electrical equipment in the
vacinity. I smoked the 1kV, 50 amp rated FWB that I was
using to rectify the 120 VAC to DC for my DC rotary gap
motor in this manner! Once I bypassed the second pair of sta-
tionary electrodes and operated with just one set, this problem
completely disappeared. And before you say it, it did not matter
how close I set the gap presentations in the 2 stationary elec-
trode pair setup and once I bypassed the secondary set of
stationary electrodes, I could operate with the single stationary
electrode pair with over 3/8" total gap spacing with no misfires.
At the power levels that I run, I need some "extra" gaps to help
in heat dissipation, so I finally built a seriesed segmented, air-
cooled, 3-gap "RQ" style of stationary gap out of (4) 1" x 5"
copper tubes, each with 2 appropriately sized copper splicer
tubes soldered over them, to increase the wall thickness and
thermal mass. I simply run this in series with my main RSG to
assist in heat dissipation and quenching and don't have the
erratic misfiring, as long as I keep the sum total gap width to
reasonable levels. I have posted this issue to the considerable
pooled knowledge of this list before but no one could seem to
satisfactorily explain my dilemma. Also, I once had a SYNC
rotary gap assembly that did have the 2 pairs of stationary
electrodes set at 180 degrees apart from the disc and it worked
fine w/out a hitch, assuming proper gap spacing. It's just the
async rotary gaps that I have never been able to get to run right
with 2 pairs of stationary electrodes.? Anyone like to try to tackle
this one again?

David Rieben

PS: The power supply was a 14,400 volt pig, either 10 or 15 kVA
in all of the above situations.