Re: non sync rotary.....

Original poster: Mike <megavolts61@xxxxxxxxx>

The reason it's erratic is that the gap presentations are not 'in tune' with the line frequency. I think someone on the list is selling some sync motors right now....maight wanna look into that. You can sidestep the trouble if you did a full wave rectification of the output of your transformer and then used a nice smoothing cap...possibly adding some chokes in the circuit to give your gap a contant high voltage source. I've heard of people grinding 'flats' into motors to make them synchronous, but don't know how that's done. Good luck with it.
Mike

Original poster: "david baehr" <dfb25@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Have ya ever had a coil that just wouldnt run right with a rotary,
but runs great with a static gap ?
               I built an eight point Async rotary for my Lil' 4"
coil,  ive messed with gap spacings , speed, and ballast
adjustments,...the result is erratic operation and low spark otput...

    years ago, I built a gap for my 8" coil,.....it worked great,
and, I could switch between static and rotary with no coil adjustment

  not sure whats going on,...hey, static gaps are cool, right ?  :-)

Now that's room service! <http://travel.yahoo.com/hotelsearchpage;_ylc=X3oDMTFtaTIzNXVjBF9TAzk3NDA3NTg5BF9zAzI3MTk0ODEEcG9zAzIEc2VjA21haWx0YWdsaW5lBHNsawNxMS0wNw-->Choose from over 150,000 hotels in 45,000 destinations on Yahoo! Travel to find your fit.