UV hazards from sparks (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 17:06:04 -0700 (PDT)
From: Mike Giblin <mike_99_eng@xxxxxxxxx>
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: UV hazards from sparks

Hi folks,

  I know that both rotary and static spark gaps emit enough UV to toast
one's retinas and that those gaps should always be shielded from view.
But, how safe is it to look at the sparks from a Tesla Coil?  What about
gazing at the beautiful sparks and enticing flame from a Jacobs Ladder?
Do I need special UV attenuating lenses?

  I figured that I better ask the experts (and experts in training) on
this one rather than learn this lesson the hard way.

  Thanks,
  Mike Giblin

The fish are biting.