RE: Dielectric oil for a new capaciotor (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 10:08:56 -0500
From: David Thomson <dwt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: 'Tesla list' <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: Dielectric oil for a new capaciotor (fwd)

> >Thanks to all for the numerous replies to my original query. I found
> >Shell Diala AX at the local Shell distributors who quoted prices from
> >$60.00 to $92.00 for a five gallon pail. I was not able to find any
> >smaller quantity for sale.
>
> Even $60 seems high ($12/gallon).

I was doing some more research on transformer oils and found references to
other coilers using "turbine oil" for their projects.  It turns out turbine
oil is standard oil. I had bought turbine oil years ago from a seller on
eBay and it has worked fine in all of my HV insulation projects for the past
several years.  It turns out that I am using ISO grade 32 turbine (standard)
oil.  I have just ordered a new 5 gallon pail from McMaster-Carr for $49.15
plus shipping.

Dave