3 Coil System Was: A photographic tutorial of Pancake Coil winding...with movies...(fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 06:02:20 -0700
From: Barton B. Anderson <bartb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: 3 Coil System      Was: A photographic tutorial of Pancake Coil
    winding...with movies...(fwd)

Hi Dave,

Most magnifier systems are of the classic design with an L1:L2 driver
situated a great distance from L3 and coupled via transmission line. L3
is a standalone unit both in mutual inductance and the coil capacity
itself with it's topload and ground. Those are completely different
beast and follow different design rules which don't apply to this topic.

Very few have built 3 coil systems of helical design as my hybrid maggy.
A few of course have with flat coils, but I'd bet in nearly every case,
it was similar to your coil in design where the solenoid resonance was
determined by the L1 and L2 with L3 observed only as a capacity. Trying
to get all three resonant through trial and error would be nearly
impossible and a program would certainly be needed. Trial and error is
very easy with a 2 coil system but not with a 3 coil system as we are
discussing.

You mentioned that anyone could replace the 3rd coil .... with a pipe of
same dimensions and get the same results. That is true only if:
1) the 3rd coil is a close proximity coil as L1 and L2 are.
2) L1:L2:L3 are not designed to resonance.
3) L1 and L2 are resonant and L3 is seen as a capacity (which it is when
2 above is not true).

But, if L1:L2:L3 "are" designed to resonance, the game changes,
especially in a system with a flat secondary and helical solenoid.

What would be really interesting is a high coupling 3 coil maggy in
close proximity all using flat coils! Now that, we can model (unlike
that cone topload object which is a real pain in the butt).

Take care,
Bart