RE: Wireless power transmission (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 11:08:58 -0500
From: David Thomson <dwt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: 'Tesla list' <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: Wireless power transmission (fwd)

Hi Colin,

> Originally you were talking about longitudinal waves
> propagated by electrostatic repulsion between charged
> particles (ions) mechanically vibrating in the free air.

I still am.

> You now seem to be talking about large scale varying
> electrostatic fields.

No, I'm not.  This is something you have brought intothis discussion, which
I disagree with.

You don't move the air in a room when you talk.  The air remains, for all
intents and purposes, perfectly still.

It is true an electrostatic field will be damped, even air will damp sound
waves.  But as we can see from longitudinal waves in air, there is quite a
bit of room for sound wave propogation before the damping minimizes the
longitudinal waves in the air molecules.

The same holds for electrostatic longitudinal waves.

The ion density gives the rigidity of the medium, the near field oscillation
provides the source of the mechanical vibration.  With enough rigidity in
the ion field and a strong enough amplitude mechanical oscillation, you can
mechanically excite the ions for a relatively long distance (greater than
inverse square law for EM radiation).

> It's also the case that to
> generate a large scale varying electrostatic field you'll
> need to move about large amounts of charge to/from somewhere else.

There is no varying electrostatic field in the sense you are talking about.

Dave