RE: [] conical secondary (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2007 07:37:18 -0500
From: David Thomson <dwt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: 'Tesla list' <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [] conical secondary (fwd)

Hi Bart,

A four foot coil can't be that much harder to wind than a five foot coil.
Several of my coils are double wound (bifilar) and one of them is triple
wound (trifilar).  I could easily have removed one of the double wound wires
to make a space wound coil.

The Plexiglas is easy to cut with a jig and a quarter inch hole drilled in
the center.  Just revolve the square Plexiglas sheet into a band saw and it
quickly produces a nice circle, although winding on a square is just as
easy.  I used to spray the Plexiglas with contact cement the night before
winding, but then I found much better results by painting a couple layers of
polyurethane on the Plexiglas.  As the polyurethane gets tacky, I start
winding.  On the large coils, I stop periodically and place a flat board
weighted with bricks on top to hold the wire in place and allow it to dry.
It may take a week to wind a large coil with fine wire, or about an hour to
wind a 13" coil with fine wire.  Preparation and patience are the key.

I understand, however, the desire to build an aesthetic wooden frame that
resembles Tesla's design.  I admire yours and others efforts to go through
the trouble to produce real art with Tesla coils.

David W. Thomson