Re: conical secondaries (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2007 19:16:28 -0700
From: Barton B. Anderson <bartb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: conical secondaries (fwd)

Hi Gary,

If you were to design an experiment to compare secondary geometry's, you
would be hard pressed to make any sense of it. How does a cone compare
to a helical coil? Inductance is just a value. Geometry is just as
important. One thing I've realized is that geometry and inductance are
separate beast. Building concentric inductance's with different
geometry's says nothing. I can build the same inductance for 3 separate
coil geometry's (even all helical) and they would all act different.
This is one of those "things" that cannot be quantified through
comparison experiments. As soon as you make a comparison, someone will
point out why it is invalid (and they will be right).

However, the human factor is something to take account of. For example,
if a coiler spends several years building helical secondary's and then
begins building conical secondary's and finds he can get more out of his
conical's (as based on his previous experience with coils), then there
may be something there, even if we don't know why at this point in time.
If several other coilers decided to give it a try and also report the
same, that would be proof that we should take the reports seriously and
figure out why. Those things have not occurred yet, so for now it's all
just pie in the sky.

Take care,
Bart