RE: NST Shunt Removal (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 10:06:40 -0400
From: "Lau, Gary" <Gary.Lau@xxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: NST Shunt Removal (fwd)

Hi Bart:

I'm still kicking myself for not taking photos of my NST before I
repotted it.  I think I was so disgusted with how messy the process was,
it wasn't something I wanted to remember.  It also pre-dated my digital
camera and I just wanted to get it done.

My recollection of the core construction is dim, as at that time I had
never seen a core that HAD removable shunts.  I know that I would have
recognized something that would have been removable.  I don't think the
shunts were welded, as I was able to completely disassemble the core
from the windings without difficulty.  I believe the shunts were
integral to the main laminations, rather than being separate
laminations.  I think there was a pre-set air gap in the shunts between
the two core sides.  I've seen a similar construction on small
open-frame NST's and bug zapper xfmrs.  It may be possible to drill a
hole through the integral shunt to reduce the cross-section area of
metal.  But then you'd never be able to dis- and re-assemble it, and if
you drill out too much metal, there's no going back.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA

Did
> they weld them in place? If so, could the weld be grinded off to free
> them? Weld grinding is one of those areas I've unfortunately had to
deal
> with, but in every case, the weld can be ground away quickly.
>
> Take care,
> Bart
>
> Tesla list wrote:

You'll not