Re: those folks at MIT (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 19:08:58 -0700
From: Ed Phillips <evp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: those folks at MIT (fwd)

  Some coworkers of mine here
are casually looking for the oldest references that describe the
phenomena reported in this paper."

Jim:

    Have them try getting "Electrical Radiation" by Oliver Lodge,
Philosophical Magazine, June 1889; I believe it describes his
experiments with coupling between two resonant circuits using Leyden
jars.  I got this reference from "Syntony and Spark, The Origins of
Radio" by Hugh Aitken, Wiley-Interscience and there are other good
references there.  If you haven't seen it (I'll bet the Caltech library
has a copy) tuning or "syntony" is the whole theme of the book.  I would
also looking at  Zenneck and Seeling, "Wireless Telegraphy", English
translation by McGraw Hill of a 1906 book in German.  Chapters IV
"Coupled Circuits" and V "Resonance Curves" have lots of design
equations and references to published articles which are probably prior
to 1906.  Specifically derives the coupling constnat "k" with which we
are all familiar

    I wonder if there's anything in Maxwell which is worth looking at?

Ed