Re: those folks at MIT (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 11:55:32 -0700
From: Ed Phillips <evp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: those folks at MIT (fwd)

Jim:

    Your note is FAR FAR too generous to those guys!  I have only seen
their original paper; its one Tesla reference is irrelevant and their
nomenclature is pure puffery.  The MATLAB [?] pictures are pretty but so
what?  Seljacic obviously came from a totally different and
non-engineering background discipline and his "discoveries" [the most
astonishing one is that maximum coupling for a pair of tuned circuits
occurs when they are both tuned to the same frequency!!!] may indeed be
original as far as he's concerned.  If you play with his equations and
parameters in his charts you can convert them to conventional concepts
like kQ - there's absolutely nothing new there.  His little "horns with
ears", duplicated in some of the press reports, are foolish at best.

    It's still  mystery to me why MIT endorsed their papers since they
must be a real embarassment to anyone in the EE or Physics fields who
might have looked at them.  Perhaps no one has ever seen them?

    On a more positive note I have yet to find the source paper you have
read.  Is it available on line?

Ed