Re: MOT primaries in paralell? (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 15:28:50 -0700 (PDT)
From: G Hunter <dogbrain_39560@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: MOT primaries in paralell? (fwd)

More current?  MOTs already produce plenty of
current--too much for smaller hobby-type coils.
Probably what you need is more voltage, not more
current.  Is this to be a spark gap coil or an
IGBT-based coil?  I'm asking because spark gap coils
need higher voltage and lower current for efficient
operation, whereas an IGBT coil can get by on very
modest voltage.

For coiling, multiple MOTs usually have their
primaries wired in parallel, and their secondaries
wired in series for more voltage.  US MOTs typically
feature a 120vac primary, and a 2100vac secondary.

Two MOTs wired as described will get you 4200vac
output.  Four MOTs will yield about 8400vac.  Some
coilers have series as many as six MOTs for over
12kvac output, but I've never tried that.  Regardless
of how many MOTs you gang together, you will need some
sort of ballast to limit current draw from the
wallplug, or else the circuit breaker will trip
frequently.

MOTs need not be identical.  Mismatched MOTs work OK
together most of the time.  Even so, you should
attempt to pair them up roughly by size & weight.  For
example, I would not attempt to pair up a MOT from a
700W oven with a MOT from an 1200W oven.  It might
work OK.  I just can't bring myself to try it.

Voltage matching isn't critical.  I've measured MOT
outputs as low as 1800vac and as high as 2600vac.
However, 2100vac seems to be most common.  I don't
know why.  Voltage matching is not important, since
the series-wired secondaries will simply add their
voltages together (assuming you have the things phased
correctly).

Cheers,

Greg

http://sims.yahoo.com/