Re: wondering (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2007 16:09:04 EDT
From: Mddeming@xxxxxxx
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: wondering (fwd)

In a message dated 6/3/07 1:01:11 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

> [...]
or styrene, but if pvc is the best available  choice,  would milling grooves
lengthwise down the form make it less  lossy?   I'm sure it would be a pain in
the butt to do, but wonder  if it would be worth the trouble.
>      Also,  I  cannot seem to find info on whether a sonotube would be a
better choice to  reduce losses in the form.
>    Mike

Hi Mike,

Sonotube takes more preparation to make it useful but IF properly  done, IMO
performance differences are negligible. The attraction of  sonotube is that
with PVC, cost increases as the square of the diameter for the  same length. I
did a comparison a few years ago and IIRC, the  average over several suppliers
for larger Sch 40 PVC was  something like cost= 0.2 D^2 + 0.4 D x (cost of 1"
pipe). Sonotube is  cheaper and lighter in larger sizes.

Matt D.