Re: propeller gap help (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 20:50:49 -0400
From: Jason Johnson <jasonmsusolar@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: propeller gap help (fwd)

Shaun,

I would tend to agree with Scott on this. 1/4" tungsten is probably overkill
in you're application with a 12/60 NST, but would certainly offer good
longevity. You might try some 1/4" brass threaded rod at first, both to
establish a good length for the spinning electrode, and because you might
well be satisfied with its performance.

I use a 9" length of 1/4" brass threaded rod in my propeller style gap, and
it puts up with several hundred milliamps from 2 MOTs. Of course it does
wear some, and you should periodically check your gap spacing (to prevent
overvoltage), but I don't think you would notice much wear on the threaded
rod with a 12/60 powered system. Also, if you want to change to 1/4"
tungsten later - you've already got a 1/4" hole in your arbor. I would go
with as long of a length as you can easily accommodate, to maximize
electrode speed (for good cooling, etc).

Other possible advantages - brass threaded rod is available in 12" lengths
for approx. $2 @ Home Depot; it needs no special locking collars or
setscrews, just locknuts; it also makes good stationaries; better electrical
conductivity than tungsten (though this is probably not super significant);
also the threads increase surface area, and thus act like little cooling
fins, though I'm not sure if this last point outweighs the superior melting
point of tungsten.

Jason