Re: Hello again / New MOT coil (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 16:31:05 -0700 (PDT)
From: G Hunter <dogbrain_39560@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Hello again / New MOT coil (fwd)

Thanks for all the info.  I'm both pleased and
impressed you made it work using the low-voltage,
high-current AC approach.  I avoided this route so I
wouldn't have to deal with the problems you seem to
have solved.

My level shifter had diode issues too at first, but I
was able to solve the problems quickly, and now my
diode strings have an indefinite life span.  I built a
second such coil and power supply for a friend, and
his exhibited the same reliability.  In other words, I
was able to make it work more than once.  I was so
confident about diode life, I sent him on his way with
no spares.  I don't think he'll need them.

Nothing against level shifters, but I'm always looking
for a cheaper, easier way to use MOTs.  A 100%
silicon-free TC intrigues me, especially with so many
coilers going the opposite direction.  A 4200vac
MOT-powered, spark gap coil seems like a throwback.
That appeals to me.  If I ever get my workshop built,
I'll have to give it a try.

Cheers,

Greg

http://mse-gsd1.matsceng.ohio-state.edu/~glenn/jason/Tesla%20site_files/page0001.htm