RE: Measuring HV capacitor voltage (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 14:38:34 -0600
From: S&JY <youngs@xxxxxxxxx>
To: 'Tesla list' <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: Measuring HV capacitor voltage (fwd)

David,

Corona is your enemy in voltage dividers.  It ionizes the air which makes
the air act like additional resistance across your resistor string, and you
end up with faulty readings.  And if the corona leads to an arc, you are
likely to turn your meter to toast.

So, you need to use a lot of resistors for a 10 KV divider, e.g. 40 to 50 of
them.  For my 20 KV divider I use 80 1 meg resistors.  Each resistor should
be limited to about 250 volts across it - 500 at most.  Layout is important
- lay them out in a zig-zag fashion that keeps them away from each other.
Or better yet, solder them end to end and put them inside a vinyl tube.  If
you do that, you can wrap the string around a form (e.g. short piece of 3/4"
PVC) for more compactness.

For safety, put a power diode between the meter end of your voltage divider
and ground.  If your divider ever breaks down and shorts, the diode will
conduct and will prevent your panel meter from having dangerous voltages to
it.

Jameco (www.jameco.com)sells bags of 100 1/4 watt resistors for 99 cents a
bag - great price!

Your analog meter cannot have an impedance of more than 1 K or so, as it
uses a coil of very fine wire.  Use a digital ohmmeter and measure it.
Also, usually on the meter face is an indication of the full scale (fs)
current.  Knowing these values, you can calculate the required resistance of
your divider string.  Mine has a fs of 83 microamp and a resistance of 1.2K.
Put a pot across your meter (e.g. 1K) so you have a way to calibrate it.

Now for the bad news.  Let's assume your meter has a coil resistance of
nearly zero.  Then 15 volts across your 15K series resistor means it will
take about 1 mA for full scale.  That means your voltage divider must
dissipate 1 ma x 10 KV = 10 watts.  This means your voltage divider will get
hot and will need some air circulation.  Or, you must limit your measurement
time to just a few seconds.  I think you would do better to get a meter with
a full scale current of around 100 microamp.  Then you wouldn't have to
worry about voltage divider heat.

--Steve Y.