Re: Marx Generator (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 05:29:27 -0400
From: Dave Pierson <davep@xxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Marx Generator (fwd)

>Hi, I was just thinking of building a marx generator and was reading on the
>principal of it.  I was thinking if a Marx Generator builds energy in the
>capacitors bank in parallel, then discharges all this energy through them in
>series, then isn't the Tank Capacitor and the Spark Gap in the Tesla Coil
>tank circuit essentially the same thing as a marx generator?  Correct me if
>I have the theory of marx generators wrong.
    Marx
    Its the originator's name.

    I would regard them as Marx Generators and Tesla systems as different.
    A Marx generator does not use the 'transformer' effect, nor have any
    resonance in its design.

    One could, sort of, regard the LV end of a 'spark gap' Tesla Coil as
    a single stage, non voltage increasing, Marx, but thats a bit thin.

    If memory serves, Tesla coils are historically the older, by about
    10 years.

    best
     dwp