Re: 180 BPS synch? (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 18:04:44 -0700
From: Barton B. Anderson <bartb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: 180 BPS synch? (fwd)

120V 1-phase does not come in anything larger than 1-HP. No one had this
in the past except the Altivar 11 and a drive made by TBWoods (which
sucked!). ABB and Seimans promised this for several years, but I finally
gave up on them. I expect the market was estimated to not be worth it
(it's been over a year since I dealt with all the drive companies, so
maybe one of the other brands now how this). Anyway, I run a 2HP motor,
thus the 240V input (the 240V input was standard for 2 to 7 HP).

The only problems I've encountered with the drive is quick slowing or
speeding up. If you slow too quickly, an overvoltage error can occur due
to generation, but this is manageable. The Altivar 28 had several of
these occurrences, but with the Altivar 31, it seems to perform well.
When an OV error occurs, the drive will freewheel to a stop (at least
you should set it up for this and not brake it with DC Injection
braking). I use the error output signal from the drive to shut down the
coil just in case of this. This is one of the reasons I let a computer
control the safety functions (it's much faster than I am at opening up
the contactor). Really not a big deal, but as long as I had the toys, I
figured I might as well use them.

Take care,
Bart