Re: Ignition Coils (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 20:48:09 +0000
From: Jeff Behary <jeff_behary@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Ignition Coils (fwd)

Hello Scott, Daniel,

Running an ignition coil from 110V does seem crazy, but I managed to run one
from 220V, which seems even more crazy:
http://www.electrotherapymuseum.com/2007/250WT/index.htm

This ignition coil in the photo is from a Model T.  I'm sure a modern one
would work even better...maybe someone will try.

In the old days of points/condensers the voltage on the cap could reach a
few hundred volts when the circuit was broken.  I just used this concept
with a spark gap to do in the interrupting instead of the points or
electronics..and switched the wiring to a normal TC circuit.  The discharge
is pretty mean, low frequency, not one you would want to come into contact
with by any means!   I was consuming a little over an amp or from a 220V
line (actual measured voltage was 241V).  The only tricky bit is the
tungsten spark gap, which should be near to .001" or around the thickness of
a piece of paper.  The cap was 1/2 mfd.  I also tried it with a microwave
oven cap, around 1 mfd.

I'm curious to test this one day to see how it will power a normal TC
instead of a transformer.

Jeff Behary, c/o
The Turn Of The Century Electrotherapy Museum