Re: conical secondaries (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2007 19:52:05 -0700
From: Barton B. Anderson <bartb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: conical secondaries (fwd)

Hi Mike,

I'm not sure about your theory with "e-field shaping" or the previous "a
conical can handle greater power". To analyze these, there must be some
equivalent from a solenoid to a cone geometry. Probably best to keep the
wire length the same to achieve this. The cone then takes on a size
which would may appear different than expected. Due to the cones large
capacitive and inductive values which dominate the lower 40% of the
coil, the field gradients along the coil would be quite different. And,
what is the best angle? Shallow, deep, or maybe somewhere in the middle?
How does top load geometry affect the coil?  A lot of typical "real"
physics to look at. Sounds like fun.

Maybe at some point I'll try to look at that. It would be good if
someone like Paul Nicholson could look at those specifics with his
higher resolution software (not to mention his superior knowledge of
analysis and ability to make sense of it all). It's likely he already
looked at this. Right now I'm in the middle of coding some other needs.
I'll throw it on the to-do list however.

Antonio's programs may be suited for that particular task. And of
course, any of you can give it a go with either my software or Antonio's
since they are there for "your" use. They'll even run on old Windows 98
and maybe even 95. Of course, if anyone here is still using widows 3.11,
we need an "intervention".

Take care,
Bart