Re: For the coiler who has everything else? (fwd)...SMD (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2007 22:44:30 -0700 (PDT)
From: Brett Miller <brmtesla2@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: For the coiler who has everything else? (fwd)...SMD

Ed,

Well, I'm 32 but with my glasses I guess I make the
cut.  Just slightly tin your pcb on both sides where
the SMD component is about to go, then use your left
hand to hold down the little chip component with a
wooden toothpick.  In your right hand use your Weller
12w soldering pencil and heat up the component on each
side.  They come pre-tinned anyway.  I've just used a
little lens for magnification...but I've only dabbled.
 I'd like to work more with SMD and learn more about
finding the parts fast and assembling my parts list.
I just tend to know more about finding leaded
components due to experience...nowdays the digikey
search engine makes that stuff easy though.

Some guys have done some amazing stuff with SMD and
solid state for micro mini sstcs and drsstcs.

-Brett

>      As for SMD's, all it takes is 20-year old eyes
> and steady hands and a good 10 power binocular
> microscope.
>
> ed

Try the Yahoo! Mail Beta.