RE: Resonant cap?

Original poster: "Mark Dunn" <mdunn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

JT:

For DC operation, the capacitor size becomes an independent variable.
You can choose your cap size and then compute your Tesla primary
inductance that gives the resonant frequency to match the Tesla
secondary circuit.  So Xc = Xp gives 2*Pi*fr*Lp=1/(2*Pi*fr*Ct)
These should be familiar equations.
Fr is res freq - Hz
Lp - Primary Inductance - Henries
Ct - Tank Capacitance - Farads

You can try different values of capacitance and change the taps on you
primary to keep the same resonant frequency.

With only 10 ma, you will have a very small Tesla Coil.  I have one
about this size that is battery powered and uses (5)TV flybacks(with the
output diode - so a DC system) to power it.  The flybacks are triggered
by a MOSFET.  The capacitor is 1 nF and and the Tesla Coils(I have two
180 deg out of phase) are 5/8" dia.  The toroids are doorknobs.  I can
get about 6 inch streamers between the toroids and about 3 streamers on
the toroid periphery.  I take this unit to my kids
school once a year for a demo.

You can see some pics at:

Http://www.teslaboys.com/TeslaMini/

Note the pics are a few years old.  They only show one coil and show a
single transistor driver for the flybacks.  I was able to push much more
power with the MOSFET.  The cap is a homemade parallel plate unit under
oil.

Mark Dunn