Re: My VTTC fun begins...

Original poster: Brett Miller <brmtesla2@xxxxxxxxx>

John,

Thank you for that informative and though provoking
responce.  I have seen those HV air caps in use inside
legal limit ham linear amplifiers 1kw and higher.  I
am sure one of those would be adequate for use under
oil and with a long insulated pvc handle.  I may have
to try this technique in the near future.

...especially since I have started a collection of
power rf triodes (and others) in my parts closet, and
all the filaments check out good.  I want to make a
vttc test platform that can adapt to the insertion of
a new tube and have the capability to (with a little
tuning) start producing sparks with a completely
different triode.

-Brett

> Original poster: FutureT@xxxxxxx

> Standard Time,
> tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:
>
> >How about a large hv transmitting air
> >variable under oil?
> >
> >-Brett
>

> Brett,
>
> I found the large air variable under oil to be very
> convenient
> for final tuning when I set up my 36" spark VTTC.
> This
> tuning cap is installed in a tank made of 6" dia PVC
> pipe.
> The entire unit is about 20" tall.  A plastic 1/2"
> pipe sticks
> out of the top of the unit.  This pipe is rotated by
> hand
> while the coil is operating to tune the coil.  Since

SNIP

http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/265