Da: Tesla list [mailto:tesla@xxxxxxxxxx]
Inviato: lunedì 22 gennaio 2007 1.35
A: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Oggetto: Really big VTTCs

Original poster: David Speck <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

List,

I asked this question a couple of years ago, but never really got a
definitive answer.
I've seen experimenters construct disruptive coils with secondaries
from a few inches long to 60 feet tall.  Current SSTCs are
approaching or surpassing the performance specs of the disruptive
coils every day.

By comparison, VTTCs seem to have topped out at a 4" x 20" secondary,
driven by one to four 833A tubes.  The consensus seems to be that you
can get just about as good performance from one 833A as with 4 of
them, if you design the coil right.  Perhaps 36" discharges seem to
be the limit for VTTCs on a good day.
Is there some physical or electronic limitation to the design and
construction of a really big VTTC?  With the availability of big
surplus power tubes (10 kW or more) on eBay, and the possibility of
multiple parallel free MOTs for input power, is there a physical
reason why no one has built a 12 x 60 or 18 x 90 VTTC?
Ten foot sword like discharges would be neat to watch!

Dave