RE: My VTTC fun begins...

Original poster: Brett Miller <brmtesla2@xxxxxxxxx>

Cameron,

> Original poster: "Cameron B. Prince"
> <cplists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> Hi Brett,
>
> Looks like you are off to a good start... I am not
> sure if you followed the
> VTTC threads I started last year but I made some
> advances with my VTTC,
> which was also based on the Steve Ward design, by
> increasing the height of
> the grid coil above the primary. I was able to
> achieve a 37 inch arc with
> 120V/20A or less input power. I have photo
> documented my progress here:
>
> http://www.teslauniverse.com/gallery/v/coils/vttc/

<SNIP>

That is a really impressive chunk of 833 work you have
done there!  It was foolish of me not to do a more
thorough search over the archives before assuming the
VTTC hobby wasn't as vibrant as it should be...then
again, with luck we can still step it up a few notches
in 2007.  I will read the VTTC posts of last year
tonight if possible.  I guess a search for your name
and "VTTC" or "833A" should yield good results.

One thing I would like to do once I've had a bit of
tube coiling experience under my belt, is work with
you and others to update the "VTTC FAQ" to include all
current findings and also add in the illustrations
that are missing from the copy found on Steve's
website.  It would no doubt work wonders for the VTTC
side of the hobby to have such a document and keep it
relatively up to date.

Also, I've found (and so did Ross Overstreet) that the
ARRL handbooks have useful information about the
design of Linear RF Amplifiers that can be applicable
to tube tesla coils.  I have the 1996 version and it
has great stuff in it.  The older ones are nice to
have too.

I would like to design a few high frequency VTTC's too
later on down the road.

-Brett