[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: ARGH!!: broken wire

Original poster: Ed Phillips <evp@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Original poster: "david baehr" <dfb25@xxxxxxxxxxx>

... a few years ago, while winding a 4" coil , I ran short of wire 'bout 2/3 of the way . Before making my splice , I found another piece of wire, of similer size,, insulated with pvc and striped off about an inch of the insulation and sliped it over my secondary wire , carefully soldered my splice, then put a little epoxy on the spice, then slid the pvc jacket over the spice.,..seems to work fine,.......hope that all made sense ;-)


I've used a slightly simpler approach. After securing the wire that's alreay wound I scrape about 1/4" insulation from the end, do the same to the wire on the spool, then tin both and solder in a lap joint. Then fold a piece of thin paper maybe 1/2" wide over the joint, trim it to perhaps 1/2" length, and put it against the form with the open part facting the empty form. By carefully leading the first few new turns on it's possible to have the paper held securely with hardly anything being visible except right at the joint. Finish coil and varnish in usual manner. Never had a problem although my coils are all small.