Re: ARGH!!: broken wire +

Original poster: Frosty <frosty90@xxxxxxxxx>

thanks for the replies, i will try this and let you know the results.
Thanks
Jesse

On 1/14/07, Tesla list <<mailto:tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Original poster: <mailto:gary350@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>gary350@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

This is what I have done several times and it works fine.

Use some sand paper to remove the enamel coating on the very tip of
the wire.  Over lap the wire about 1/8" and sold them together.  Make
sure there is no sharp points on the wire or solder.  Use a very
small file to file down the solder right down to the surface of the
wire if you can.  Make a special effort to make sure the solder
connection is smooth.  Paint the solder with polyurethane
varnish.  Continue winding your secondary coil but leave a tiny space
on both sides of the solder splice.  Move 1 turn of the wire over
about 1/16" from the close wound section.  Leave a tiny space on each
side of the splice.  It will make a goofy looking place on your
secondary but it will work fine.

Check out this pic of my 10" coil.  The coil arced about half way up
shorting out 3 turns of the secondary coil.  I unwrapped about 7
turns of wire and solder spliced the wire back together.  It works fine.

<http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e358/gary350/tc10-4.jpg>http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e358/gary350/tc10-4.jpg

Gary Weaver