Re: an interesting mechanical engineering problem

Original poster: Frank <fxrays@xxxxxxxxxx>

Hello,
You want something that is easy to rig up/ tear down and does not have a lot of loose parts. Nuts and bolts are easy to loose, over torque, bang knuckles and require a lot of time to assemble/ disassemble.

You might consider something called a hammer union, http://www.fmctechnologies.com/FluidControl/Flowline/WingUnions/StandardService/Figure100.aspx This has a easy to mate, square thread and is fast, yet it makes a solid mechanical and electrical connection. Although this model is steel, you could contact the mfgr for a brass type if desired. As to the threads, a simple machining of the ends for a bevel prep could be done and then silver solder the copper to the steel, it will take fine and provide the mechanical/ electrical connection desired.
This union is cheap and could be a clean solution.

This thread profile could be duplicated in brass with a tubing profile for silver brazing at any machine shop as well.

To lubricate the threads and help prevent corrosion from ozone, use this lubricant: http://www.americawestdrillingsupply.com/products/details.asp?PDID=28 It is excellent and the micro copper flakes make it very easy to make up/ remove the connection as well as provide additional electrical conductivity.

Thanks, Frank