RE: What now? I'm new

Original poster: "Lau, Gary" <Gary.Lau@xxxxxx>

Hi Ruben:

As to why single-ended coils are more popular than bipolar coils -
here's my take.
1) The formulas and guidelines for secondary/topload resonance are well
established for single-ended coils, but not so for bipolar coils.
2) Adjusting the primary-secondary coupling is easy to do in a
single-ended coil, but with a bipolar coil, you're stuck with whatever
it is.
3) With a single-ended coil, with proper top load design, it's possible
to achieve spark lengths far in excess of the secondary length.  With a
bipolar coil, you're doing well if you can get just the secondary
length, and more probably isn't possible.

A 4kV NST is definitely adequate for a small coil, and much, much better
than any ignition coil.  My minicoil uses a 4kV/20mA NST and I've gotten
16 inches of spark.  See http://www.laushaus.com/tesla/minicoil.htm.

For a how-to guide on building coils, I wrote up an outline of the
design process for building a coil, see
http://www.laushaus.com/tesla/howtodesign.htm. For a very good reference
on how coils work, I like to recommend Richie Burnett's site at
http://www.richieburnett.co.uk/tesla.shtml.  Hmmm, all of the links on
the site seem to be broken and Richie's email address bounces...

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA