Re: Unpotted NST

Original poster: gary350@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I unpot my neons to remove shouts. I have changed all of my 15K30ma neons to 15K60ma neons. The high voltage oil provides a liquid cooling system for the coil and wire as well as preventing arcs and sparks therefor the transformer is almost bullet proof. I have unpotted several neons and all have just enough shunts removed to double the power of the transformer. I have a 4" TC with 1 unpotted neon, a 6" TC with 2 unpotted neons in parallel, a 8" TC with 3 unpotted neons in parallel. This is the time of the year I like to unpot neons. I set them on the wood stove in the work shop. After about 30 minutes the heat from the stove melts the tar and I pour the tar off into a pan. Then I wash the neon in fuel oil. Rince with a solvent that evaporates like gasoline. Remove a few shunts then put the neon in a plexaglass box full of HV oil. The kitchen oven works the best for unpotting neons there is no smoke at all just place the neon in the oven at about 200 degrees for 1 hour if the tar is not melted turn the heat up 25 degrees every 30 minutes until the tar melts.

Gary Weaver