RE: Old Popular Electronic Magazine

Original poster: Yurtle Turtle <yurtle_t@xxxxxxxxx>

We have three 115 kV lines enter on of our sites. We
strung close to 1/4 mile of 6' chain link fence just
below it, in two places. I can't recall the width of
their easement, but we were right at its edge. None of
the fence workers mentioned anything "shocking" about
the installation. They chose to install the required
grounding only after having strung and hung the
fabric.

Adam

> Original poster: Jim Lux <jimlux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> At 08:35 PM 2/20/2007, Tesla list wrote:
> >Original poster: Mike <megavolts61@xxxxxxxxx>
> >
> >Hi all,
> >    I used to work at a coal mine/power plant many
> years ago(before
> > college) and built powerlines there for the drag
> lines to move to
> > new digging spots.   I once parked my truck under
> one of the big
> > lines on a wet day and could not touch the truck
> without getting
> > shocked.   I also built a line crossing under
> another one of those
> > big lines and could not touch the wire without
> getting
> > shocked...even with leather gloves on....The
> induction field around
> > those wires spreads pretty wide.
>

> There are also cases of things like milking sheds
> built under power
> lines where the "step potential" (difference in
> voltage between two
> places on the soil, a step apart) caused the cows to
> be unsettled.
>

> >  I would be rather easy to wind a large coil with
> the loops of wire
> > running parallel to the power line and with a
> suitable cap, have
> > yourself a 60Hz resonant coil to draw power from.
>

> Getting a spark or a tingle is a long way from
> extracting useful
> power.  Consider the spark from electrostatic
> charging on a dry day.

Finding fabulous fares is fun.