Re: primary coil stand off construction question.

Hi Adam, I'm not sure were talking the same thing. But I'll try to detail what I was saying.

In a past life, I worked at a wood working shop building Gazebo's, Decks, etc.. That is my main experience with routers, various jig setups, various sanders, planers, etc.. as well as hauling lumber from Sacramento to Modesto (a rather busy freeway in CA; Highway 99) with a trailer of wood 5 times the size of the truck pulling the load.

The router table I mentioned is just an "old timers" technique and is where the "router table" sold at Sears or wherever was derived. Basically, the runner is pressed against the fence with force. It is then traveling along the fence toward the router bit. When the runner meets the router bit, the long edge is against the fence. Just keep pressure on the runner to press against the fence while also feeding it into the router bit. It "will be" a perfect cut (unless your fence moved or you released pressure on the runner against the fence). That is something you "will" experience at least once, but hopefully no more than once.

You description sounds as if you used the fence as a stop rather than a feed slide. I'm not sure as that is hard to imagine, but hopefully as a feed slide. If you actually had to keep the runner in place with only your hands as a guide, nothing but "yuck" would result. A feed slide (fence) and stop (whatever you tack in place) is often used to cut or channel to a given depth and length.

Hopefully that helped explain what I was describing. You can make heads or tales of it and see if we are talking apples and oranges.

Take care,
Bart

Tesla list wrote:

Original poster: Yurtle Turtle <yurtle_t@xxxxxxxxx>

Maybe I'm not understanding how you did it. I was
making 8 standoffs nearly 18" long. I've got a pretty
decent router table, though it is a storebought one. I
used my fence to stop the HDPE, after feeding it
perpendicular to how one would normally feed it. I
don't have a miter gauge with mine, and my fence
doesn't go 9" beyond the bit.
Once it started cutting, it kinda took on a life of
it's own, with regards to feed rate. I guess it's
possible that the router and bit were moving slightly
as well, causing the less than perfectly perpendicular
holes. I was convinced the best way to do them was
with my radial arm saw. Just turn the yoke, mount a
chuck, install the bit, set the depth, then gently
pull. However, the bit seemed to dig into the plastic,
then it would try to walk to the side of the leading
edge, much like the router did.

Adam

Get your own web address.