From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, February 19, 2007 8:49 PM
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [PHISH] Re: synchronous motor

Original poster: "resonance" <resonance@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Tony:

That was 4-12 uF not picoFarads.

This for a small 1/20th to 1/10th HP motor.  For a larger RTTY type
synchro motor the value is usually around 10-12 uF and sometimes
higher.  Values higher than this typically feature a disconnect
centrifugal switch inside the motor housing at the real
tailshaft.  If you operate the motor with more than this amount of
capacitance the high currents could damage the windings or burn the
motor up. Good idea to monitor the currents while you are testing to
be sure it is within the range stamped on the motor's plate.

Dr. Resonance