Re: 4 stage SISG

Original poster: FIFTYGUY@xxxxxxx In a message dated 2/18/07 9:08:49 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

>I've priced suitable IGBTs.  "Sticker shock" is an understatement.

Yeah, but Terry says they should last "forever" and have zero maintenance. Factor in near-silent operation, almost perfect efficiency, and the ability to "box up and forget about" the entire primary system, and I think it's definitely worth every penny.

Of course, in the past three weeks I replaced two inverter drives at work that decided to blow up (7.5kW where the Semikron brick vaporized, the other a 15kW where a cheap *input rectifier* exploded on power-up). Telemecanique Alitvar 31 VFD's, if anybody's counting. No line or load reactors in the drives, and none with the OEM's installation (!). Only six months old... and these are mature industrial power electronics from a major manufacturer.

To me, "solid state" means it's only solid until it becomes a conductive vapor. At least a few minutes with some emery cloth and a bit of fiddling is all it takes to get a SG back in working condition.

I've got 10 of the IRGPS60B120KDP's on back-order from Digi-Key for a month now, so I'm in the same boat as you guys. Could somebody please tell I-R to start making more? Or are we gonna start having "roll-your-own IGBT" discussions? Will gluing a glass microscope slide and an extra layer on an SCR do the trick? ;)

-Phil LaBudde