Re: Inductance and the acceleration of charge

I second that statement! It is the "bible" for inductance calculations. I got my copy after Pauls work with the TSSP and Geotc (because I wanted to understand "how" Paul pulled Grover into Geotc from a code writing perspective). I had to figure out the interpolation method which is something I had not done before, but after I understood, it all worked out perfect. I still remember the grin on my face when I used a pencil and paper on the first calculation I had selected. It amazes me how much time and effort must have been made to derive the tables and methods for such a dynamic array of geometry.

Take care,
Bart"

I first used it when I got my TRS-80 back in 1978 and wanted to create a TC design program of my own. I had fun with the mutual inductance lookup tables and figuring how to interpolate them but finally got it working fine and have been using the basic program ever since. As for the work in the tables, I agree. They are based on Bureau of Standards work going back to the turn of the 20th century and which was based on even earlier work. Not only were fellers smart in those days but they also had lots of energy! Same goes for the guys who figured out planetary orbits in the 1700's without any math or trig tables. Hard to imagine how long some of their calculations must have taken.

These days it's easy to go find someone else's program ready to run and plug numbers into it but I wonder how many guys make mistakes because they don't have a feel for the fundamentals involved.

Ed