Re: 18" sparks at 2KVA

Original poster: "Steve Ward" <steve.ward@xxxxxxxxx>

Wow, very cool!

Have you had any arcing inside the tube at any time?  Thats really
pushing the voltage!  Im gonna have to do that with my next VTTC
project i think ;-).

Steve

Original poster: "Cameron B. Prince" <cplists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hey guys,

Yes, that's the way I've been running my coil since last year... I only have
a meter capable of measuring 3kV so I am not exactly sure what the voltage
is. Brett, you are probably right with your 7kV estimate.

Based on my experiments with VTTCs, it's much better to throw higher voltage
at them rather than higher current.

I am also fairly certain this played a major part in one of my MOT's biting
the dust due to the primary arcing to the core. I probably should have cut
the leads from the secondaries that tied them to the cores.

Cameron