Re: New Find

Original poster: "J. Aaron Holmes" <jaholmes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> Original poster: "Tim Flood" <tflood@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> Should I connect the HV to one
> side of the tank
> circuit and ground the other leg or what is the
> proper way to use this unit?
>
> Thanks for any input.

Yup.  That's the way to go.  In fact, many people
ground one leg of the HV transformer anyway.  You can
actually connect the inner turn of your primary
directly to the bottom of your secondary.  I have done
this and it works great.  D.C., I believe, first
recommended this as a means of avoiding arcs between
primary and secondary, since then they're at the same
potential where they're closest to each other.  In
fact, I have a single-bushing pole transformer and
several single-bushing PTs, and have never wired my
coils in any other way.  It's just simpler; you don't
have to be floating two HV wires everywhere.  Of
course, you can't do it with NSTs, since they're
generally midpoint-grounded, so you'd be shorting one
half of the transformer out.

Regards,
Aaron, N7OE