Re: 25 kV PT

Original poster: Mike <megavolts61@xxxxxxxxx>

Original poster: "Dr.Hankenstein" <Dr.Hankenstein@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

It isn't a center tapped transformer; it's an indoor compartment rated
PT
intended to be hooked to a 3 phase delta ungrounded system running 24kv
phase-to-phase. Grounding either end may cause the "high" ends'
insulation
to fail, resulting in flashover thus ruining the PT.

BTW: GE model 350 butel PT's are rated for use on 69kv equipment,
outdoors,
in the rain, etc.... and they are dry type.

I realize this isn't a center tapped transformer in itself.....but if the two are 180 out of phase, why would this be a problem? Perhaps the midpoint connection should not be grounded, but why would it hurt for them to be phased oppositely for 50kV? I suppose it wouldn't be bad to run them in parallel at 25kV and twice the current, but I'm still lost as to why it would be bad to run the pair in anti parallel.
Mike

Have a burning question? Go to <http://answers.yahoo.com/;_ylc=X3oDMTFvbGNhMGE3BF9TAzM5NjU0NTEwOARfcwMzOTY1NDUxMDMEc2VjA21haWxfdGFnbGluZQRzbGsDbWFpbF90YWcx>Yahoo! Answers and get answers from real people who know.