Re: Line filter -- where to ground it?

Hi Forest,

The only added comment I have is wiring the filter in "backwards". Most filters are designed to keep stuff from getting back onto the line cord. Some filters are symetrical and how you wire it would not matter. If your filter has a LOAD end and a LINE end, I would wire it up that way and NOT wire it "backwards".

Gerry R.

Original poster: "Forest Darling" <fdarling@xxxxxxxxx>

I am going to wire a line filter behind a neon sign transformer in
backwards, but where should I ground the filter to? The NST case, or
the mains ground?

The NST case is going to be grounded to the RF ground (I'm using a
Terry filter on the high voltage side.)

Also, out of curiosity, how long of a spark would you expect a 450
watt 15kV 30mA NST to realistically be able to put out?
DeepFriedNeon's calculator said 36" but that seems very long.

http://www.deepfriedneon.com/tesla_f_calcspark.html

Thanks,

--Forest