Re: static spark gaps

Original poster: Mike <megavolts61@xxxxxxxxx>

Hi Neal,
You can probably get a lot of opinions on your questions. Personally I like as much surface area as possible for static gaps. It tends to reduce the frequency at which one has to repair the surfaces from the arcs. As far as the air flow 'over quenching', I can imagine that one could cause erratic arcing with a super high flow of air, but I would imagine you'd have to have a compressed air jet directly hitting the gap space. I use multiple gaps so no single gap takes all 'the heat'. With a good heatsinks and a good flow of air, you'd have a decent gap system.
Mike

Hi guys,
I've got a couple questions re: static spark gaps. First, what
difference does
it make regarding how much surface area is exposed for the gap?
Specifically,
which is better, less or more? Also, can a ssg be "over" quenched? At
the
moment I'm using a blower that was scavenged from an old air-hockey
table.
Should I use a dimmer switch to vary the speed, since it does seem to
move a
lot of air? Thanks in advance for any advice!

Neal.

8:00? 8:25? 8:40? <http://tools.search.yahoo.com/shortcuts/?fr=oni_on_mail>Find a flick in no time with the<http://tools.search.yahoo.com/shortcuts/?fr=oni_on_mail>Yahoo! Search movie showtime shortcut.