Re: 25 kV PT

Original poster: Yurtle Turtle <yurtle_t@xxxxxxxxx>

They came from an HP project, where the switchgear
heaters had failed. Moisture had caused visible corona
damage and some flashovers to much of the gear. The
PT's (or VT's as switchgear folks call them) had some
discoloration at the bushings due to corona. It
cleaned up quite nicely and both units hipotted fine.
HP wanted new ones, so I got their garbage. The things
are beasts; weighing 125 pounds each. Quite a lot for
something rated only 1.5 kVA; the same as a
blow-drier!

The label shows them to be manufactured by Instrument
Transformers, Inc., but the model number PT6-2-125-253
corresponds to the GE product literature found here:

http://geindustrial.com/products/specs/pt62125.pdf

I run my GE JVN-5 14.4 kV PT with one leg grounded,
and haven't had any problems.

Adam