Re: [TCML] How necessary is a Terry Filter

Hi Ed,

The filter helps dampen those spikes back to the tranny. The safety gap will act like a static gap with a big bang as it's gap width is typically larger than the main gap. Never the less, there is RC filtering occurring and no LCR filtering occurring (which is good I think in this situation). The safety gap is still very important is an integral part of the Terry filter. But there is also high frequency filtering occurring in addition.

Take care,
Bart"

I understand this [and the potential effect of LC filters without resistive damnping] and was just curious as to whether anyone had had failures with just a safety gap for protection. I see you have and that it was of a Franceformer, my favorite type. Where was the failure? Winding to winding or winding to case? [I can't see that the filter would reduce the winding to case voltage.] Several years ago I ran a number of simulations on the protection to be obtained from LC filters and concluded that the dangers were greater than any protection and that a simple RC filter was a lot safer. Terry's addition of the MOV's was not an option with the parts available then but is certainly a wise precaution and I suspect the added capacitance of the MOV's below conduction is beneficial too.

Ed