Re: [TCML] Strike rings - to use or not to use; was: Newbie GroundingQuestion

On Dec 29, 2007, at 8:05 PM, David Rieben wrote:

Hi Bart,

Looks like the strike rail paradigm may be beginning to
change. I had never really looked at it like Gary pointed
out about the conservation of energy and everything and
had just assumed that strike rails were a "necessity". May-
be the Green Monster needs to have the strike rail ripped
out ;^) Now that I think about it, I too agree that the strike
rail does seem to act like a "spark magnet" so maybe the re-
moval of this rail will help to really reduce the primary reaching
streamers.

I've never used strike rails, but I'm planning to install one on my
"last" coil - the one I'm building now.

What about placing a small sphere gap between strike rail and the
RF ground?  Will the strike rail "floating" have enough self
capacitance to still attract strikes, or is it only likely to do
so if it is sitting right at ground potential?