Re: [TCML] Strike rings - to use or not to use; was: Newbie Grounding Question

Just theorizing here...

Your lightning arrestor is purely voltage driven,
without regard to energy. However, a big coil like
yours could have a theoretical instantaneous output
power in the hundreds of kW. While it may not be
enough to hurt your transformer or cap, the
instantaneous event (or series of events) may have had
enough energy to fry your arrestor. It probably did
what it was supposed to, once it saw >18 kV. Once the
arrestor clamped to ground, all those hundreds of kW's
saw a very low impedance path to ground.

My arrestor consists of a series air gap, followed by
MOV's. As I understand it, MOVs can only take a
certain number of overvoltage events before they
finally fail short. My arrestor was very old, and may
have already seen some real world lightning events
before I got it. Was yours used as well? Mine's seen a
number of primary strikes without failing. However,
I'm currently only running at around 6-7 kVA.

Adam