From: tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of Lau, Gary
Sent: 27 December 2007 01:38
To: 'Tesla Coil Mailing List'
Subject: [TCML] USB-powered Tesla Coil

No, I don't have one.  But my wife found an interesting gift for me this
year - a USB-powered plasma globe.  It's actually quite nice - the globe is
about the size of a conventional light bulb, with a power cable that plugs
into the base, labeled 5V/300mA, and the other end having a USB plug on it.
Nearly on par with the TheOnion.com USB-powered toaster faux product, except
that this is real.  See http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/science/964e/

So, this got me thinking if this couldn't be extended to an actual
USB-powered spark-making Tesla coil?  While the available power should be
adequate, I'm not sure I'd be comfortable with the prospect of RF-ground
return current being routed through my USB port.  Maybe this is a good use
for that old P2 dinosaur in the basement.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA