From: tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of bartb
Sent: Friday, December 28, 2007 11:23 AM
To: Tesla Coil Mailing List
Subject: Re: [TCML] Newbie Grounding Question

Hi Tim,

If a strike ring is used,  it must go to RF ground only (never mains
ground).

Not all coils need them if their sparks just don't have the capability
of hitting down to the primary. And even when they do have enough power
to hit the primary, not everyone uses them. I think on average more
coilers do than do not. I haven't used them for several years now. I
guess it depends on the coil. If I had a coil that constantly had
primary hits, I would probably install something as a last resort. But
first I would try to get some field control on the sparks themselves.

Take care,
Bart

Tim Meehan wrote:
> What about the ground ring?  I am guessing that it is RF ground only.
>
> Do all coils need the ground ring - or only high power ones?
>
> On Dec 27, 2007 8:06 PM, bartb <bartb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

>> Hi Ken,
>>
>> Your right, this area of connection varies with the builders and
their
>> reasons. You'll no doubt get both connection concepts listed. There
are
>> two main reasons for the division in agreement. One is safety. The
other
>> is preventing common transients on mains ground. You'll have to
choose
>> as it's an endless debate. Either will work of course.
>>
>> I connect RF ground to the NST, NST filter, secondary. My NST is
placed
>> under the coil. I don't even run a mains ground out to the coil. I
keep
>> mains ground at the control panel only (anything I am in contact
with).
>> This method helps prevent transients on main ground (which I am more
>> concerned with). However, I also use a braided line which powers the
>> NST. The braid itself connects to RF ground. I run quite a bit of
power
>> and can get strikes down to the floor quite often, so to prevent the
AC
>> input from being hit, this braided shield helps to keep the strike
from
>> heading back to the house.
>>
>> One thing important is to be sure RF ground is "always" connected. If
>> not, those transients "will" find a way back to the house. But if you
>> give them a nice low impedance path somewhere else, they'll take that
>> path instead. And that is the whole point of an RF ground connection
>> the NST. I do the same with all my transformers and for the same
reason.

>> No one can guarantee that devices in the house will always stay in
good
>> working order, but we can surely do our best to try to prevent known
>> issues.
>>
>> Take care,
>> Bart
>>

>> kkociolek8577@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Everyone,
>>>
>>> I've been an EE for 25 years and always wanted to build a TC. I made
>>>
>> half-
>>
>>> arsed attempt in my younger days but it never got off the ground.
I've