Re: [TCML] Pictures of my Tesla Coil

On Dec 23, 2007, at 5:06 PM, Dirk Stubbs wrote:

Thanks for the input. I have an additional neon transformer(15KV @ 30mA) so I can just hook them up in parallel to gain the 60mA. I will also try
raising the primary 1" as you suggested. I would love to gain 30-36"
sparks from it but I do have a question. If you look at my primary I
have a safety ground ring(to avoid the sparks from hitting the primary)
that is about 2" above the primary which is about 20" from the toroid.
If the coil could deliver 30-36" sparks, why wouldn't it not just hit
the safety ground ring which is closer? Excuse my ignorance.

To be honest, I don't know the answer myself, I just know it works.  I
have personally obtained 8 to 10 foot streamers from secondaries only
4 feet high with the toroid another foot or so above that.

Other people have done much better, with or without strike rails.

Anxious to try once the weather clears up in Kansas. I am not confident
with running the coil in the house as I have alot of computers and
afraid something bad will happen. Call me a chicken I guess. :)

How about we call you "smart" instead? Running a coil inside any structure (well, any structure you care about anyway) is foolish. Strikes to walls
have started fires (sometimes inside the wall!) and destroyed computers,
appliances, and audio-visual equipment by injecting EHV RF into power wires.

You are wise to only run your coil out of doors.

 - Bill "Gomez" Lemieux