Re: [TCML] Another MMC question.

Hi Vinnie,

Here's the deal as I see it. Many on the list in the beginning of MMC's ran with minimal voltage standoff on their MMC's. I think the chart was designed probably in an Excel spreadsheet and ported into a document. I personally don't use the chart but someone on the list was looking for the chart and I put it up at my sight (not really paying much attention to the values).

I personally use Javammc for MMC design. I'm one of those coilers who prefers to derate my MMC's for a higher standoff voltage rating and I certainly recommend you do the same.

FWIW, I inserted that 1x8 scenario into Javammc and although the capacitance value was correct, the Javammc describes this situations as "Terrible" on the voltage standoff and "Good" regarding the temperature rise (rms current characteristic). Your 2 x 15 is much better and descibed as "Fair" with voltage standoff and "Excellent" with temp rise. Fair indicates a voltage derating between 1.5 and 2 times Vp.
http://www.classictesla.com/java/javammc/javammc.html

Take care,
Bart

Vinnie wrote:
Hello all

I am looking back at information I based my first MMC on and compairing it to new info I have gotten from the list and I am confused. I'm looking at this file mmc_cap_chart.pdf on classictesla dot com and according to the chart I should be using 1 string of 8 CD 942C20P15K's for a 12/60 nst to achive an LTR value. I intend on building my new MMC with 2 strings of 15 of the CD 942C20P15K but wanted to confirm
first. Why are the vaules in the chart so much different?

 Thank you all for your time and help.

Vinnie